Tuesday, October 11, 2011

{in the studio with} espana photography

Name/Company:
Heather Espana [rhymes with lasagna ;)] of Espana Photography
How many years have you been in the wedding industry?  
This is my sixth year working in the wedding photography industry.

How did you get started?  
As an art major, I was always interested in photography and enjoyed messing around with film, but I hadn't thought of pursuing it as a career.  I was mainly focused on mixed media/drawing/collage work.  To be honest though, I was bored!  I got so lonely in the studio, and it just didn't click.  About six years ago I actually put an ad in a Need Sheet, advertising that I was available as a personal assistant/secretary.  In that same Need Sheet, a local photographer was advertising that he needed an office assistant.  I ended up working there for about three years!  I learned how to shoot digital [I had only shot film previously], post-processing, album design, and countless other things that have been very helpful in running my own business.  I was fortunate enough to be able to ease into the wedding industry, at first just as a third photographer, then as a second photographer on up.
What's your signature style?  
I like to say that I get to photograph quirky joyful people in love, with a vintage flair.  My favorite images are very emotional and warm, and sometimes just make you laugh out loud.

Where do you go for inspiration?  
Primarily, I go to people.  They are why I love my job!  I'm inspired by meeting new people, hearing their stories, watching their unique ways of interacting, the little things they do that they might not even notice.  I've been blessed with incredible clients, and as cheesy as it sounds, they really are my inspiration.
What's your favorite spot in your studio?  
Well, my husband and I just bought our first house last June -- so my favorite thing is that I actually have a whole room as my office!  I was working in very cramped quarters before, so this has been heaven.  My favorite part of this room though is my vintage wallpaper collage wall.  It makes me happy every time I look at it.

Do you have a current favorite color palette or wedding trend?  
I think the wedding industry has come to an amazing place, where couples are feeling more and more free to have a day that's entirely unique and entirely THEM.  I hope things just keep growing that way.  Color-wise, I am of course partial to weddings that feature red, orange and/or yellow.  Only because those are my favorite colors ;).
Where do you see your business in 5 years?  
In Magic Land, I have a beautiful North Light studio on First Street in my town where I can meet with clients and indulge in all sorts of photographic fun.  I also have a 50s truck and an airstream trailer.  And a Corgi puppy.  And I've photographed quirky weddings on every continent, including Antarctica.  In Realistic Land, I will really just be happy to still be doing what I am doing, and meeting more amazing people and traveling to more amazing places to photograph their weddings.

Finish this sentence 
 I can't live without...  http://www.tave.com for my client management, my Shootsac, my Canon gear, all the support from my husband, friends and family, and cheese.  I don't think I could live without cheese.
{Studio Photos} Espana Photography
{Studio Styling} Fawn & Feather
{Profile Photo} Brian Rupp Photography

13 comments :

  1. I like it when magic land and realistic land merge.. lol. but I have to get out of bed and get busy. great site btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crazy about those splashes of orange! What a gorgeous office!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this studio - such little bits and pieces of fun goodness! Plus a 50s truck and a Corgi? So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This interview is great and I am in love with her work space

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely work space - so inspiring. LOVE the orange. Oh, and I'm loving her use of pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh WOW! her studio is soo colorful and amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is oh so lovely. I don't think I'd ever want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful workspace-so colorful and full of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooo magic land sounds amazing!! LOVE that collage wall, so fabulous!! What an awesome space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun space! Love the tiny things like the mushroom in the plant and beehive pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooooh that owl ribbon is the cutest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that cool wallpaper treatment you did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely!

    Is that "cheese" as in [I have a camera, everyone smile] "CHEESE" or eating cheese?

    Birdie

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Design by Get Polished